Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Evangelistic Dating (repost)

Originally published in August 2009.  My, my, where have the years gone?


With Sarah, just before her 2nd birthday
As a pastor I have often warned about the perils of evangelistic dating. This is the notion that a Christian should date a non-Christian in an ill-fated attempt to lead them to a relationship with Christ. It is almost often some sweet (yet immature) young Christian girl who has met a guy and fallen “in love.” It usually ends with heartache and turmoil. Primarily because such a relationship is a violation of God’s Word.

But this morning I realized there is a form of evangelistic dating that God honors.

My friends and family all know that I have taken my daughter Michaela to lunch every Thursday for over 5 years. I have taken my son Andrew to lunch every Wednesday for over 3.5 years. Today it was time to start the tradition with our youngest, Sarah.

Having run out of practical lunch times, Sarah and I headed off to breakfast together. Out of all her options she chose the Huddle House. So Huddle House it was.

Andrea got Sarah dressed while I took the older two to school. When I drove back in our driveway I felt like a school boy pulling up to his girlfriend’s house for a first date.

My theology allows for a state of grace for children Sarah’s age. But the day will come, by God’s grace, that our Heavenly Father will extend to her the gracious offer of forgiveness. I am overwhelmed with the reality that what I started today will make it easier for her to comprehend a Father’s love. Her love for me will not ensure a love for God. That’s a supernatural work wrought by the Holy Spirit. But I so desperately desire to be an earthly father who will more accurately mirror her Heavenly Father’s compassion and care.

A Father who takes the initiative…before she even realizes how desperately she needs that father’s love. (Ephesians 1:4, 2 Timothy 1:8-10)

A Father who does all the driving, all the ordering, and all the paying. She has no idea the sacrifice required in my busy schedule to make this date. She has no idea what it takes to make the money to pay the ticket. One day she will understand it more. In the meantime all she has to do is submit and enjoy the fellowship and the benefits of being her father’s child. (Romans 8:14-17)

A Father who loves her in spite of the dirty diaper, the spilled milk, and the constant need for a bib. (Romans 5:8)


So in many ways my date with Sarah this morning was an evangelistic endeavor. She has not made a personal commitment to Christ…yet. But I pray God will use the next few years of Friday morning breakfasts to begin lovingly drawing her to His Sovereign side.