My Great Loves

Nectar of the gods
Without a doubt my greatest love is the Lord.  I take seriously the age-old commandment to love the Lord with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  But as I celebrate a few milestones I want to express a few of my more "earthly" loves.

No...I'm not writing a post about coffee and Mountain Dew :)

June 23, 2011
My first thoughts go to my sweet bride.  What would I do without her?  She is to my heart what air is to my lungs.  In a few weeks we will celebrate 16 years of marriage.  I do not know where the time has gone but I know how the time has gone.  Joyfully.  Peacefully.  Gratefully.  And blessed.

Easter 2011

Then of course there are my precious children.  I take the task of being a Godly father more seriously with each fleeting day.  With my son's 7th birthday party this weekend I can see my opportunities to "raise them up" flashing before my eyes.  No doubt about it.  I would die for them.  But I'd rather die to myself and live for them.

My other great love is Emmanuel Baptist Church.  Last week I celebrated my 9th anniversary as senior pastor.  And my niece's 15th birthday party last weekend reminded me that we've been at EBC for a total of nearly 15 years. 

Emmanuel Baptist Church
It's a long story...but it was her birth that brought us to Blackshear for a visit.  That night in the summer of 1996 we came to this dear city to have supper with a young pastor and his wife, Don and Sonny Hattaway.  I had no idea we were fellowshipping with a man who would become my pastor, my boss, my Bible teacher, my predecessor, and one of the dearest friends I would ever have.  And little did I know that a quick dinner at Shoney's in Waycross, GA would lead me to be a part of the greatest fellowship of believers in the world.