Repentance

This Sunday I am beginning a 3-part series called "3 Steps to Revival." The 3 steps are:

1. Repentance
2. Prayer
3. Fasting

Since it makes sense to start with number 1 we will be studying "repentance" this Sunday morning. Part of the sermon is based on the Biblical words for "repent." There are essentially only 4 words translated as "repent" in the Bible. 2 are OT Hebrew words and 2 are NT Greek. Of course there are a few derivatives of these 4 words but basically, these are the 4 words for "repent."

The Hebrew word nacham means "to breathe heavily, to sigh, to change the mind."

The Hebrew word shuwb means "to turn away from."

The Greek word metamellomai means "to care afterward." In other words, after it's done, it bothers you.

The Greek word metanoia means "to change the mind."

Based on these 4 words I have written a working definition of Biblical repentance. I intend to try to use this in my own devotional life in 2010.

Repentance occurs when I am so grieved about my sin that after it is committed, I breath heavily and sigh. My mind having been sufficiently changed about my sin, I turn away from it.

I am really looking forward to this 3-part study. I am looking more forward to the Lord doing a fresh work of grace and repentance in my life.