Sunday, November 1, 2009

How Great is our God

God is up to some awesome things at Emmanuel. While numbers don't always "tell the tale" it is worth noting that membership applications are up, the Spirit is awesome, and the waters of baptism are regularly stirring. Budget giving is holding steady in a time of economic uncertainty. The Sunday evening services are as well-attended as anywhere in the Southern Baptist Convention. We've been blessed to see 37 baptisms from October 1-November 1.

In spite of all that, we are not a great church. We are a church with a great God. I know, I know...many people say we have a "great church" and I know what they mean. But it's good theology to put the adjective on the right noun.

As I contemplate what the Lord is doing at Emmanuel Baptist I can only say, "Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised."