The Peril of Postponement

This weekend is going to be an incredible time at Emmanuel Baptist Church. We are hosting a Mega-Disciple-Now weekend. Hundreds and hundreds of teenagers have registered for what is sure to be an awesome time of worship, discipleship, and ministry. Our theme for this year is "Here and Now."

As I began contemplating how to connect Sunday's services to the D-Now theme, I was drawn to a familiar story in Luke 12. In this sad passage, Christ records the story of a man who lived for tomorrow and wasn't prepared to meet His Maker in the "here and now." It is a tragic example of the dangers of delay.

If the Lord wills, I intend to preach this Sunday morning on "The Peril of Postponement." I want to encourage every member of EBC to be present and to bring your lost and unchurched friends. There is a strong warning in this text for believer and unbeliever alike.

If I am going to be a student of the Bible I must do so...right here and right now.

If I am going to repent of my sin I must do so...right here and right now.

If I am going to seek restoration with a brother I must do so...right here and right now.

If I am going to be a servant of Christ and my fellow man I must do so...right here and right now.

If I am going to spend time with my children I must do so...right here and right now.

The late R.G. Lee once said, "Yesterday is in the tomb of time. Tomorrow is in the womb of time. Today is the only time we actually have."

He also said, "Yesterday is a canceled check. Tomorrow is an I.O.U. Today is the only cash we have."

Though I am planning to preach on this subject Sunday, only the Lord ultimately knows. So I intend to live today in light of this truth...right here...and right now.