I Love This Poem

I pause today for a brief departure (sort of) from my recent series on the Great Commission Resurgence emphasis within some circles of the SBC. But I love this poem and pray you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

"YOU’RE JUST OUT OF DATE!"
SAID YOUNG PASTOR BATE
TO ONE OF OUR FAITHFUL OLD PREACHERS
WHO HAD CARRIED FOR YEARS,

WITH BLOOD, SWEAT, AND TEARS
THE GOSPEL TO POOR, SINFUL CREATURES.

"YOU STILL PREACH ON HADES

AND SHOCK CULTURED LADIES
WITH YOUR BARBAROUS DOCTRINE OF BLOOD;
YOUR CHURCH IS SO FAR BEHIND

YOU’LL NEVER CATCH UP WITH MINE
YOU’RE A FLAT TIRE THAT’S STUCK IN THE MUD!"

FOR SOME LITTLE WHILE,

A WEE BIT OF A SMILE
ENLIGHTENED THE OLD PREACHER’S FACE
BEING NOW MADE THE BUTT

OF A RIDICULOUS CUT
DID NOT RUFFLE HIS SWEETNESS AND GRACE

THEN HE TURNED TO YOUNG BATE

SO SUAVE AND SEDATE
“'CATCH UP,' DID MY EARS HEAR YOU SAY?
I’D NOT CATCH YOU INDEED

IF I TRIPLED MY SPEED;
YOUNG FRIEND, I’M NOT HEADED YOUR WAY!"