The 2009 GBC State Evangelism Conference


1. Jeff Crook and the folks at Blackshear Place did an incredible job hosting. Rob Britton and the choir were incredible. They are now easily my second-favorite choir in the state…right behind the EBC choir. It is easy to see why BPBC is one of the most exciting and fastest-growing churches in Georgia.

If you are anywhere near Hall County you should really check them out at
www.bpbc.com

2. As I predicted, Rhon did an outstanding job representing the Lord and the people of Emmanuel Baptist. I am blessed to call him “my music minister” and “my friend.”

3. Robert Davis produced a brand new video for the song “Heaven.” I would not be surprised if requests for copies came in from around the state. It was a great video.

4. I traveled with John Darsey, pastor of First Baptist in Hazlehurst. John is one of the GBC’s bright young pastors. He is doing a tremendous work at First Baptist and my time with him and with Don Hattaway was the highlight of my trip. The fellowship and "iron-sharpening-iron" I received is something you can't get online or by merely ordering the DVDs.

5. Finally, I was asked by several people about my sentiment on Josh McDowell’s “talk” (his word) on Monday night. Frankly, the entire thing was disturbing. His points were disturbing for various and disparate reasons.

As for the statistics regarding the loss of our next generation, it was startling how many pastors have no clue as to their accuracy. Among other things it undergirded in my mind the need for entities like our own Southeast Christian Academy. Admittedly, a Christian school is not the singular answer to the problem. But our Southern Baptist efforts to pedo-baptize our 4 and 5 year olds and then send them out for daily Babylonian indoctrination does not seem to be helping the situation.

Several of us seemed to have heard (I don’t have the CD yet) one statistic stating that 51% of born-again evangelical youth did not believe in the resurrection. I am confident that statement, if made, was actually a misstatement. It may be true that 51% of self-proclaimed born-again students disbelieve the resurrection of Christ. But 100% of actual born-again youth believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ (Romans 10:9, 1 Corinthians 15:3-4). Any who deny, doubt, or disbelieve the Savior’s resurrection are lost in their sins. Either Josh misspoke or I misunderstood. Either way, I am confident we would agree on this point.

As for the implied solution to the generational malaise (Josh never stated one) I will do best in this matter to let brevity and Scripture be my guides.

For the preaching of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe. (1 Corinthians 1:18, 21)

Paul’s Divinely-inspired solution will still work in any time, in any culture, with any generation. The results of any other plan may look impressive but they will be no more or less than the fleshly-generated responses to a man-centered approach.